Saturday, November 14, 2009

INTERPRETATION: 'WHEN I HAVE NOT RAGE'

This piece of writing isn't a traditional poem. It may be considered a piece of prose or perhaps free verse poetry. It seems to be a stream of conscious thoughts and words spoken to God. He begins by mentioning that when he has 'not rage or sorrow, and you depart from me, then I am most afraid'. This reminds me of how likely many people are to pray mostly during times of great distress. When fear overtakes him, he is desperate in his need for God. The desperation of a frightened child is described when he writes, 'I rush to you as a child at night breaks into its parents' room'. His fear is quelled when he thinks of how he belongs to God. He writes, 'my heart sings of your longing for me, and my thoughts climb down to marvel at your mercy'. His thoughts climb down so that he is able to look up at God, to worship and admire. He isn't always able to do this. Sometimes when he isn't angry or full of sorrow, he forgets. It seems that this poem may be a reminder to himself to not forget God because through him he feels solace and relief from his fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment